While eating lunch at The Arrogant Butcher the other day, I was struck by the uniqueness of the salad dressing. It is surprisingly sweet, tangy and light. I spoke with the waitress and she told me that she'd been trying to copy it at home herself.
Our
waitress told me that their dressing is basically a 2:1 ratio of
champagne vinegar and sugar. I played with the recipe a bit and came up
with this version. Served on a simple salad of chopped greens, cucumber
and tomato, this dressing elevated the salad to something special.
Champagne Vinaigrette
Yield: about 2 cups
1 cup champagne vinegar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon very finely minced shallots
dash of ground cumin, about 1/16 teaspoon
pinch of kosher salt, about 1/8 teaspoon
1/4 cup light flavored olive oil
Combine all ingredients in the
blender and puree until emulsified and slightly thickened. Pour into a
glass jar and refrigerate until ready to serve. Drizzle a small amount
onto salad and toss well to coat. Store remaining dressing in the
refrigerator. Enjoy!
Click here to return to Barefeet In the Kitchen
