We had several blood oranges in our Chow Box this week. I was excited to try them and see how the flavor might be different from regular navel oranges. When I opened the box and saw them next to the spinach, I decided right then to make smoothies for an afternoon snack.
The blood oranges were more tart than regular oranges. So, I added an extra banana and some frozen pineapple as well. We all enjoyed these smoothies. If you are making this with regular orange juice, a single banana would probably be all that you need.
Blood Orange Pineapple Spinach Smoothie
1 cup orange juice, I used the juice from 4 medium size blood oranges
a large bunch of spinach, approx 4-6 ounces - if the stems are very long, trim the excess
1-2 small bananas, frozen is best
1 cup frozen pineapple tidbits
Layer ingredients into the blender in the order listed above. Puree until smooth. Enjoy!
Makes (2) 12 ounce smoothies
Click here to return to Barefeet In The Kitchen
